Birding France is proud to have participated in the first ever Global Bird Weekend.
On 17 October 2020, just over 7,000 species of birds were counted by over 31,000 people in 167 countries around the globe! A number of French regional parks participated as part of the BirdingFrance team, helping to boost France to #3 in the species counts for Europe (229 species).
A great effort by the Boucles de la Seine Normande (118 species) and Golfe du Morbihan (115 species) regional parks who both figure in the Top Ten lists for Europe!
And it’s not just quantity but quality too! Some excellent species were spotted in regional parks around France on Saturday 17 October 2020 (click the link for more info about birding in each park).
- Eagle owl, Little bustard, Alpine swift, Wallcreeper and Short-toed eagle (PNR Alpilles)
- Black woodpecker, Lesser spotted woodpecker, White stork (PNR Boucles de la Seine Normande)
- White-tailed eagle, Whiskered tern (PNR Brenne)
- Penduline tit, Kentish plover, Zitting cisticola (PNR Golfe du Morbihan)
- Black-winged kite (PNR Haut-Languedoc)
- Whimbrel, Red-throated diver (PNR Marais du Cotentin et du Bessin)
- Blue rock thrush, Bonelli’s eagle (PNR Narbonnaise)